It's getting close to Christmas, and with that my return to the United States! I'm supposed to arrive on Christmas day so that will be exciting even if I do have to spend Christmas eve and morning on planes. I'm curious to see what it's like flying on Christmas Eve. Hopefully people will be cheerful and festive rather than grumpy. It's very strange to be buying presents and trying to get into the holiday spirit in 90 degree weather. When the sun shines on you the temperature seems to double. I feel sorry for Santa Claus if he has to wear his fur coat in Argentina...
I have realized how much I associate winter with Christmas. I have been missing twinkle lights, snowflakes, hot chocolate, cozy sweaters, fireplaces, and a nice chill in the air. I also miss the giant christmas decorations on top of Hardee's and the star on top of the children's hospital. (Feel free to send me pictures of yourselves doing festive things! Belated-Hanukkah festivities count too!) I am determined to be fully in the holiday spirit anyway. The other day I dedicated my entire afternoon to making the ultimate holiday music playlist (12 hours...) and to using what few resources I have to make decorations.
I didn't have tape but I ended up cutting snowflakes out of notebook paper and coloring them with sharpies. I also made a very pitiful but cute tree out of sticky notes and a brown paper bag. I bought some garland too so now my room is a little oasis of Christmas spirit.
 |
| this is supposed to be a tree and a present |
I've currently finished 3 out of my 4 exams and have one more paper left to write. I finished class in late november and have already gotten confirmation that I passed my film class. I'm still waiting on my literature and history grades. My last exam is for my seminar on religion/international relations. My final paper for that class is 5 pages but I can write it in English if I want. I would say I'd write it in Spanish just for the practice, but it's going to be pretty philosophical and deals with two readings that are in English. I've had a lot of Spanish practice so I think I'm going to take my professor up on that offer. Why not make life a little easier before the holidays? After that I will be free to travel to southern Argentina and trek across glaciers and walk with penguins! I'm going on a trip to Patagonia (a huge region actually) on December 13th!
As for the cowboy part of this post, my friends and I recently went to visit a nearby town called San Antonio de Areco. It's a small town about two hours away and is known for gauchos, Argentina's version of cowboys. We visited on the day of their heritage festival so there was a huge parade throughout the town. Everyone was on horseback of course. I loved it and thought about all of my horse-loving friends and family the entire time!
Traditional attire for men involves a sort of neck scarf, special floppy hats, and other equestrian-friendly clothing. The women wear long skirts or dresses, as do the little girls. There were tiny kids perched on horseback too - probably as young as three! There were a few vendors selling handmade gifts but most people were crowded around watching the parade. After the parade there were supposed to be some demonstrations of horsemanship out in a field but we ended up wandering around the town and visiting an exhibition of local artisans instead before catching our bus back to Buenos Aires.
 |
| the littlest gaucho |
 |
| father and daughter |
 |
| there were couples of all ages |
On a side note, I cannot imagine actually riding a horse sidesaddle. How do you not immediately fall off? Congratulations to you if you have this skill! Some of the women in the parade rode sidesaddle but others chose not to. Either way, their skirts covered the entire top of the horse.
Glad to see you are having fun and we can't wait to see you!
ReplyDeleteYay so glad you're doing well in your classes! I'm sure you'll ace the other ones too! Good luck on that philosophy paper! You know who to talk to if you need help... I'm glad someone took pictures of you on the horse! I love all the little girls and their big dresses. So cute. Come home quick and I'll make you all the hot chocolate you need!
ReplyDelete